Poll: The Most Loved Fish Album

Vigil! The first after the split. And it was so good to hear new songs sung by Fish.

1 Like

Should Songs From The Mirror really be in that list? Especially as Yin and Yang and such others aren’t?

Songs From The Mirror is a covers album, where as Yin and Yang are compilations / ‘best of’ type albums.

Surely a totally different thing ???

Yes, Songs from the mirror is an official Fish ‘album’ that he recorded to fulfil his deal with Polydor (I think - @tosh knows this stuff better than me).

Although there are some re-workings on Yin / Yang - they are more of a collection album than a studio album.

Yeah - it’s covers. But you don’t need to write your own stuff to release an album. Just ask Elvis Presley.

No, I don’t agree. Yin and Yang actually contain Fish-penned tracks. - I just don’t think a covers album should be included in a ‘Best of’ poll. Just my opinion. Doesn’t really matter anyway.

1 Like

Internal exile - I like the slight nacionalistic note and the relation to Fishs Scottish roots! It is the continuing of Slainte Mhath. Don’t get me wrong, I am not anti-English. I just see it from an outside view as a Scotland-loving tourist.

1 Like

It’s Nationalistic note is what puts me off!

I moved a post to a new topic: Internal Exile

I’m not shure if my English is proper enough for such a political discussion. I do not want to offend anybody. As I said, I can see it from an outstanding point of view.

Hearing Vigil I have never recognized how brilliant ‘View from the hill’ is. I always prefered (and still prefer) the Marillion version from the Clutching Bonus CD. But View on Vigil is truely great.

1 Like

13th Star for me- powerful and emotional rollercoaster. Still blows me away now as it did in 2007.

2 Likes

After agonising for a while I decided to apply the “what if I could only listen to one of them ever again?” thought and went with Vigil. In reality I think I would have a very hard time living without the entire collection. I always end up coming back to each and every album at some time as they all have their places in my life / memories and every LP has one or two songs (at least!) that really stand out.

6 Likes

Good call @HamishTPB. I think the challenge is that there is definitely a good line up for the top slot. Choosing one of them is, like you said, agonising!

For me it has to be Feast, in my opinion his best work to date, closely followed by 13th Star :+1:

3 Likes

I’m quite surprised that Sunsets hasn’t sneaked a vote or 2 in yet !!?

1 Like

By that reckoning, the next album should will be even better!

1 Like

Stiff competition, I believe. I also had a hard time to choose only one but I ended up with 13th Star because it got so close to me when it came out. I remember reading the lyrics from Fish’s e-mails before the album was out and I had same kind of feelings at that time, so for personal reasons I choose this way now. Of course the music on the album is also first class!

3 Likes

You’re all so predictable!! :wink:

Always top three for me, but it’s up against strong competition.

1 Like

No love For Fellini Days?

Whatever… its a tossup between Vigil and Feast for me. His first and most recent, nearly a quarter of a century apart and I can’t make my mind up? That’s the mark of a truly excellent artist.

4 Likes

A surprising ‘Internal Exile’ for me.

I guess I’m too close to FOC to place that in 1st place - and whilst I feel FOC is his most outstanding work - I’d be lost without Internal Exile.

1 Like