The last gig you went to

Glad that you enjoyed it but isn’t it sad that yet another tribute band sells out the R2 yet the young bands (who are the future) can barely get 50 people there.

2 Likes

New to the forum, first time poster so go easy on me.

It is now about 6 weeks ago but saw From the Jam at the Clapham Grand. Absolutely blinding hour and a half of classic tracks.

Before The Jam broke up I considered myself a “rocker” and wouldn’t admit to liking them on principle, even though I secretely did. Have reappraised my music tastes over the last couple of years, including getting back into Fish/Marillon, and have been drawn into those bands that arose from punk.

Partly this is down to being fed up with the whole stadium rock vibe. Saw Springsteen at Wembley last year, love his music but decided it was the last time I pay over £100 to watch a screen. I get more out of watching cover bands in the local.

Anyway, I know that you can say From the Jam are not much more than a tribute band with only Bruce Foxton from the original, but I’d rather pay £20 to go to a smallish venue and hear (what I consider) great music any day of the week.

But great news that Fish should be touring this year, I’d really thought I’d missed the boat to see him again. Maybe I’ll catch up with some of you then.

6 Likes

Welcome onboard!

Welcome to the forum :wink:

All the best. Might be seeing From The Jam later in the year at Dalkeith.

Welcome to the Forum Edgeways good post and totally agree with you regards bigger venues and watching a screen.

Welcome, and great post! - Agree with you in many respects. Don’t go to too many ‘stadium’ gigs anymore, despite the fact I do like a lot of ‘stadium’ rock (whatever that is?!) - All the really memorable gigs I’ve been to in recent years have been in relatively small venues. Remember seeing Fish on his acoustic tour a couple of years back at the Citadel. A tiny venue with a balcony and everyone was crammed in like sardines! His Vigil walkabout was immense on that night because he literally had to part the sea like Moses, and everyone was falling over each other. - Stadiums and screens have their place, but I sometimes think they create a sense of detachment. You might as well be watching a recording in a cinema.

4 Likes

Rival Sons/Black Sabbath last Sunday in Manchester
Stone Broken/Glenn Hughes at R2 last night.

Four very good bands

2 Likes

11th February 2017 - QueenMania - Zeuthen @Sport- und Kulturzentrum

It was a lovely evening. The idea came from friends of mine, and it was at the end a birthday present to my brother, who is a great Rolling Stones performer. It was his 62th birthday.

The QueenMania guys from Italy performed great! All the songs where well known. Set list, please see below.

It was as seated gig, so there was not so much audience participation. At the end I have to say. I#m still sad that I had never the chance to see Queen with Freddie live! And I’m still love the music by Queen! And I have to give the Wembley '86 DVD a run! And all the other Live DVD/BluRays by Queen I have. … “The Show must go on”

4 Likes

Setlist from last night. My ears are ringing!

BSR setlist

2 Likes

Tequila Mockinbyrd & Bonafide last night at the O2.

What an incredible gig last night. First hour was all Fish era, then played all of FEAR. 35 years watching Marillion and last night was right up there with the best ever

7 Likes

Nice one mr peanut…the first night looked a bit dark😎

John and Andy say hello.

1 Like

Give them my very best…hope you’re all having a ball​:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Oh yes we certainly are.

1 Like

On the bus waiting to leave PZ - really don’t want to go home. What a weekend (again). Met so many lovely people and just had such a laugh.
Already planning for 2019.

5 Likes

Marillion Weekend Port Zealand 2017 Set Lists

Friday 24th March 2017

The Release
The Other Half
One Fine Day
You’re Gone
The Only Unforgivable Thing
Estonia
Sounds That Can’t Be Made
Hard as Love (Acoustic H only)
A Collection (Acoustic H and Steve Rothery)
The Answering Machine (Acoustic H, Steve Rothery, Pete Trewavas)
Faith (Acoustic)
A Few Words for the Dead
A Voice From the Past
Beyond You
The Great Escape
Gazpacho
This Town
The Rakes Progress
100 Nights

Encore:
Gaza

Saturday 25th March 2017

Clutching at Straws Set

Hotel Hobbies(First time since 2007)
Warm Wet Circles
That Time of the Night (The Short Straw)
White Russian
Incommunicado
Slàinte Mhath
Sugar Mice

Lords of the Backstage (First time since 2007)
Blind Curve (First time since 2007)
Market Square Heroes

Fuck Everyone and Run (F E A R) Set
El Dorado: I. Long-Shadowed Sun
El Dorado: II. The Gold
El Dorado: III. Demolished Lives
El Dorado: IV. F E A R
El Dorado: V. The Grandchildren of Apes
Living in F E A R
The Leavers: I. Wake Up in Music
The Leavers: II. The Remainers
The Leavers: III. Vapour Trails in the Sky
The Leavers: IV. The Jumble of Days
The Leavers: V. One Tonight
White Paper
The New Kings: I. Fuck Everyone and Run
The New Kings: II. Russia’s Locked Doors
The New Kings: III. A Scary Sky
The New Kings: IV. Why Is Nothing Ever True?

Sunday 26th March 2017
Swap the Band afternoon Session

The Release (Steve Rothery swapped with ?)
Power (Ian Mosely swapped with Derek Kelly?)
Sugar Mice (Pete Trewavas swapped with ?)
Hooks in You (Steve Hogarth swapped by Grace Bark)
Incommunicado (Mark Kelly swapped by ‎Jason Dykes‎)

Sunday 26th March 2017

marillion.com set
A Legacy(with String Quartet)
Deserve(with Phil Todd) (also with Neil Yates)
Go!(with String Quartet)
Rich
Enlightened
Built-in b****rd Radar(Truncated due to h taking a fall off stage )
Tumble Down the Years (with John Helmer) (John Helmer guest guitar and vocals)
Interior Lulu (with String Quartet)
House (with Neil Yates)
Splintering Heart
Berlin (with Phil Todd)
King

Encore:
This Strange Engine (with Phil Todd)

Encore 2:
Real Tears for Sale (dedicated to Lucy Jordache with all Guests)

Encore 3:
The Leavers: V. One Tonight

5 Likes

Which set over the weekend did you prefer?

Without doubt the Saturday. Clutching is my favourite album. I think FEAR is the best they’ve done in a long time, so the combination of both made it one of the best Marillion gigs I’ve seen.

It also had the best atmosphere of the 3 gigs. Crowd reaction to the Fish material was fantastic.

5 Likes