The last gig you went to

Geoff Tate

3 Likes

Thoughts Steve ?

I enjoyed it. It wasn’t the best gig but it was ok. He’s definately still got his voice, though I felt a bit sorry for him thinking he used to sell out big arenas but has ended up in Pontypridd with a 500 crowd.

The night to me though was never really about the gig. I was born and brought up in Pontypridd but very rarely go back there (even less so since my mum died), so it was all about catching up with people, some who i’ve not seen for 10 years or more. Hit the pubs at 3 in the afternoon, had a great day and ended up slightly (very) drunk. :grin:

4 Likes

The New Roses

Two really good up & coming bands. However, yet another example of either the promoter or the venue getting it wrong. I counted 45 people. In a 500+ venue. With five staff on duty. No-one makes money from this. They’d have been far better playing The Asylum which holds 75-100.

The Wildhearts

2 Likes

How would you describ the venue Keith?
I’m going to see Riverside there next year and it’ll be a new venue for me . :thinking:

1 Like

Andy, it’s quite good. There’s a balcony at the back where I watched most of the show from. I watched the support from downstairs, the sound seems to vary slightly, so wander during the support and work out which is best. There were longish queues to get in - standing in the rain! I didn’t buy beer so can’t comment on beer prices but The Old Crown is just around the corner and serves decent beer. There is only one set of toilets shared between the gents and ladies.

1 Like

Last night … Michelle Obama spoken word book tour.

A beautiful, intelligent and very funny woman. Pure class.

3 Likes

What an audience :open_mouth: !

:sunglasses:

5 Likes

Last night a few very fine rock bands. I was surprised how well I managed to keep myself awake until four o clock in the morning! Can’ remember the last time to survive until wee hours!

Knockout Greg and the Jukes from Sweden and Oliver Darling & The Dirty Robbers and Restless from UK were great fun! Here’s Mark Harman from Restless:

3 Likes

The Sheepdogs & Rival Sons

Good to see RS back on form and if you’ve not seen the S’dogs then you should!!

1 Like

Brian Fallon , Songs For The Hymnal Tour, Edinburgh Usher Hall last night.

Just piano and acoustic guitar versions of many Gaslight Anthem , solo, and associated tracks. Sublime.

Sorry - just seen this, so no need to reply to last question :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The Struts

Fantastic gig, surrounded by teenagers as well!

Paul Carack at Alhambra Theatre, Dunfermline on Saturday.

Didn’t think this would be my cup of tea but I was proved wrong. What a band, and Paul Carack could sing the phone book and it would sound good!

3 Likes

She Drew The Gun at Sneaky Pete’s in Edinburgh last Saturday (23rd). Completely sold out (as was the entire tour) Really, really good.

1 Like

What kind of band, Mik?

Well…
I can only describe them as very eclectic, really - sometimes a bit acoustic folky, sometimes very reminiscent of Portishead, sometimes quite glam rock. Four-piece (although really just Louisa Roach + band) from Liverpool.
This is one of my favourites from their 2nd LP:

…and this is the first song of theirs I heard:

1 Like

“You wanted the best, you got the best! The hottest band in the world … KISS”

I know some of you are going to see the show when it comes to the UK later this year so if you don’t want to see the photos don’t click on the link.

Click to show the photos

7 Likes