What are you listening to (2)?

This site I use alot , good for band information and album reviews, hope this helps to Lawrie?

I went back to Alternative 4 myself , which has got some good songs on.

1 Like

Anathema Day - The Studio Albums

Hope you donā€™t mind me posting this but thought iā€™d give my views on the Anathema albums.

Protest if you donā€™t want me to carry on (and i will stop the reviews) as this afternoon I continue with my Anathema marathon.

Anathema - The Studio Albums (part 1)

Serenades (1993)
I donā€™t know enough about the ā€˜doom metalā€™ scene to judge whether this is a good example of the genre or not. ā€˜What were they thinkingā€™ sprung to mind a few times when listening to this, though i did get through the whole album, and on times even thought ā€˜well itā€™s not quite as bad as first rememberedā€™ ā€“ thatā€™s not to say iā€™d recommend this album to anyone other than my worst enemy.

The Silent Enigma (1995)
Just realised that i donā€™t own this album. As this is the first to have Vincent Cavanagh on vocals perhaps iā€™ll need to investigate further and buy.

Eternity (1996)
Thereā€™s a change in sound here but still nowhere near current Anathema. Itā€™s a heavy album with some hints of Doom still there, but is a far more accessible listen, without any death vocals. Still not particularly good though, and iā€™ve given up without finishing the whole album.

Alternative 4 (1998)
Now this is more like it. For me this is where Anathema begin to click. A heavy album with some straight rock songs (Fragile Dreams) but also including elements of depressive doom, and the album finishes with some slower songs. The difference on this album is the ā€˜cleanā€™ vocals. The inclusion of three Pink Floyd covers on the re-released version of the album indicates that even though Anathema began as a Doom metal band, itā€™s obvious where their influences lie.

Judgement (1999)
Building on the different sound that began to creep in with Alterative 4, Judgement is a more straight forward rock album ā€“ and a very good one at that. Heavier in mood than todays Anathema but thereā€™s more melody, and an emphasis on songs than on previous albums. ā€˜Parisienne Moonlightā€™ hints at future direction with the inclusion of Lee Douglas on vocals.Thoroughly enjoyed listening to that today ā€“ itā€™s one of my favourites.

4 Likes

Excellent stuff Steve, please continue :wink:

Please do that. :smile:

Iā€™m now listening to Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

ISILDURS BANE & STEVE HOGARTH - colors not found in nature

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Rush - 2112

1 Like

Anathema Day - Studio Albums (part 2)

5 down, 5 to go (iā€™m not including live albums or the albums of reworked songs ā€˜Hindsightā€™ and ā€˜Falling Deeperā€™)

A Fine Day to Exit (2001)
Now this is an album i tend not to play too often. As i was listening initially i couldnā€™t understand why, but then i realised my problem. After the first few songs i began to do other things, not concentrating on the album, and it just became background music. For some reason this album just doesnā€™t keep my attention. I think this album has the beginnings of Anathema sounding as they do today. A less hard rock album but still guitar driven, and with Lee Douglas again contributing (though more of a background vocalist). Certain tracks (Underworld being one) have always reminded me of early Radiohead. Perhaps they were getting a bit of an indie vibe going. A good album, but to my ears, not a great album.

A Natural Disaster (2003)
Similar to ā€˜Fine Dayā€™ this is an album that doesnā€™t get as much pay as the others. Thereā€™s not too much wrong with it, but in the same vein as Fine Day it just doesnā€™t hold my attention. Musically iā€™d say very similar to Fine Day (including Vincent Kavanagh going a bit Tom Yorke again on Balance). Some classic Anathema tracks here including Closer, Flying and Lee Douglas taking lead vocals on the title track. Again to me, a good album, but not a great one.

Weā€™re Here Because Weā€™re Here (2010)
There has been a steady progression in getting Anathema from the Death Metal band they once were to the band they are today, and this album is where todays sound really came to fruition. Lee Douglas was promoted to be a full member of the band and the signature sound they now have is all over this album. Not sure if iā€™ve ever really classed Anathema as a ā€˜progā€™ band but this has more of a ā€˜progā€™ feel compared to previous albums. From the opening salvo of Thin Air and Summernight Horizon (the theme of 2 big songs to begin the album which was repeated on Weather Systems and Distant Satellites), through to the instrumental closer Hindsight, thereā€™s really not too much to fault about this album.

This is where my Anathema journey began. The first album by the band that i listened to and bought. So glad i took a punt on this album otherwise iā€™d probably have missed out on some of the best music if heard over recent years.

Weather Systems (2012)
Just when you think theyā€™ve made their best album, they come along and probably better it. The opening of Untouchable Parts 1 and 2 are just perfect, and totally sum up ā€˜Lee Douglas eraā€™ Anathema. If you donā€™t like these tracks then youā€™ll probably never like the band. And it doesnā€™t stop there. There is quality all over this album. Songs with great musicianship, vocals, melody and harmonies, which all combine to make this one of my favourite albums. Internal Landscapes as a closer is superb. Where WHBWH deserved to get Anathema to a higher level, Weather Systems should have propelled them to the top league, selling out theatres and arenas ā€“ but for whatever reason, itā€™s just never happened, and they are still playing the smaller venues. Sometimes thereā€™s no justice.

Distant Satellites (2014)
Now i have a problem with Distant Satellites. As much as it is a quality album, i find that much lots (in particular the first 6 songs) sounds too similar to Weather Systems. The opening of Lost Song parts 1 and 2 are a poor mans Untouchable, and i donā€™t think the album ever quite hits the peaks of WS. However, from track 7 (Youā€™re Not Alone) the album takes a turn and gives us something very different with some electronic beats incorporated ā€“ i think this variety really freshen up the album, and gives a new dimension to the band. Who knows, maybe weā€™ll see this carried forward into The Optimist ???.

Well iā€™ve really enjoyed my Anathema Day. Itā€™s quite an eye opener when i realise just how varied their output has been to get to where they are today. Throughout the day, after finishing each album, i often came to the conclusion of ā€˜thatā€™s one of my favouritesā€™, which shows the top quality theyā€™ve had through their career. And now itā€™s nearly time for the next chapter with a new cd and tour. In life, iā€™d certainly not consider myself to be ā€˜The Optimistā€™, however i have high hopes for the new album, and am sure it wonā€™t disappoint. My time is done ā€“ A Fine Day To Exit.

6 Likes

Canā€™t argue with your analysis of the last 3 albums Steve. Iā€™ve always made that connection between the opening tracks on WS and DS. Not sure I would describe it as a poor manā€™s untouchable. Itā€™s a great double-track in itā€™s own right. There are times when I think itā€™s actually better, but depends what mood Iā€™m in. - Been interesting to read your reviews as Iā€™ve always wondered what I was missing out on pre- Natural Disaster, but youā€™ve convinced me that the earlier stuff is not for me, and therefore I can save my money. Theyā€™ve evolved into a style of music I enjoy listening to. It really wouldnā€™t bother me if they didnā€™t push different musical boundaries for the rest of their career.

great reviews Steveā€¦as for me,Anathema begins with ā€œAlternative 4ā€ā€¦I really donā€™t like the style they had before this album although Iā€™ve never tried to listen to any of their 3 first one but I know I canā€™t stand doom metal

2 Likes

50 CENT - get rich or die tryinā€™

Perhaps ā€˜poor mans untouchableā€™ was a bit harsh. My point was probably more that they were repeating the format of Weather Systems too much.

I agreeā€¦I had this feeling when I first listened to itā€¦but the title ā€œanathemaā€ made me say that this album is also brilliant (just because of this song :heart_eyes:)

1 Like

Rush - 2112

1 Like

No-Man - Dry Cleaning Ray

Thanks for your summary! I think I have to buy the early albums to follow your statements. :wink:

Cheers Steve. I`ll give that a whirl and see where it gets me.:slight_smile:

Donā€™t go buying anything on my recomendations. Iā€™d feel bad for you to spend your money and think Itā€™s shit !!!

1 Like

Doris Brendel - Upside Down World