Rip rick parfitt

RIP Rick :cry: :cry:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38427459

1 Like

Was just about to post something about this too.

I am absolutely gutted. Feeling quite sad and teary. :cry:

1 Like

Meet to mate, just put a dampner on Christmas :cry: :cry:

1 Like

Can’t believe this. One of the nicest blokes in the music business. - Rossi was only on telly yesterday, wishing everyone a merry Christmas. Little did he know. Very sad.

What an absolutely dreadful year for losing greats.

1 Like

Christmas has just been booted in the nuts :cry:

Yet another tragic loss in the music world :pensive:

Can’t believe this year at all !

:cry: oh no

Sharing A Great Story and Tribute to Rick Parfitt from Fish on Fb.

I was really sad to hear this news just an hour or so ago. I cannot remember a year laced with so much heartbreak and sorrow and the reality that January 1st is only a punctuation mark and not a restart bodes badly for us all as age and illness creeps up on our peers.

I’d known Rick since the 80’s when #StatusQuo and Marillion management shared offices in Victoria in London.We bumped into each other a lot in those days and shared many a stage together over the years. The last time I spoke to him was a couple of years ago when he phoned me up out the blue to recommend a neuro linguistic programme to stop smoking as we both had a terrible habit that we’d been trying to conquer and he knew I’d been suffering from vocal disorders. As always his wicked sense of humour had me reeling and the thought behind the call was typical of the man. Caring, funny and so down to earth, always fantastic company I could picture that sly smile and the twinkling eyes on the other end of the phone.

Like many people I was very aware of his ongoing health issues and imminent retirement and wondered how he would handle not being on a stage as Quo more than any other band with their never ending ‘farewell tours’ seemed destined to play on forever.

I remember fondly the thumbs in the waistband of denims, elbows out and head bobbing routines on school disco dance floors as a teenager and the awe of meeting him for the first time in the Quo management offices years later as a then long haired cocky singer back in the early 80’s. He put me in my place immediately and I loved him for that. His wit was sharp as a razor blade and he was so fast on the comeback and the putdown always deflected with that cheeky smile. He could be a moody bastard but was always readily forgiven as the wink at the end of any wise crack indicated any hurt was never really meant.He was a genuine old school rock star who had been there and sold a million t shirts. We lost another enormous character today who will never be replaced.

He may have been put down as a “3 chord” wonder by some but as I was privileged to hear on so many occasions they were the best fucking 3 chords a man could play.

My heart goes out to Francis, the band and crew, Rick’s family and friends who will be crushed tonight.

RIP Rick Parfitt, I raise a glass this Christmas eve and salute you. You will be sorely missed by many.

5 Likes

Status Quo
9 mins ·

From Francis Rossi

I was not ready for this. Rick Parfitt had been a part of my story for fifty years. Without doubt the longest relationship of my life: this was also the most satisfying, frustrating, creative and fluid. From those early days, we worked together to create the Quo sound, look and hits. We spent years on the road, on the stage and in the studio, rarely far from each other, honing what we did.

We were a team, a double act, a partnership and yet also two very different people, handling the pressures of growing older, constant touring, dealing with success and keeping the creative flame burning in different ways. He developed his own sound, his own style, casually inspiring a generation of players.

Rick was the archetypal rock star, one of the originals, he never lost his joy, his mischievous edge and his penchant for living life at high speed, high volume, high risk. His life was never boring, he was louder and faster and more carefree than the rest of us. There were any number of incidents along the way, times when he strayed into areas of true danger and yet still losing him now is still a shock. Even in a year that has claimed so many of our best, including now George Michael, Rick Parfitt stands out. I was not ready for this.

From Status Quo Facebook page just now.

4 Likes