Hobbies, Interests and Pastimes

Everything Mik has just typed.

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s what i did. I twisted them and hightened them around the axles but they’re so big. The cable’s so thick ok I will trim them tonight :+1:

I shouldn’t have bothered with extra thick cables :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Strip cable back to expose clean copper, then twist into a single cable. Your cable doesn’t look too thick to be able to twist together.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have another go tonight.
This is thick cable (2.5mm) which is why it’s difficult to stay twisted once I bend it into a loop.
I’ll take the picture tonight so you can see the thickness compared to the regular thin cable that is on your picture.

I also think I stripped too much in length.

Well…turned out the speakers do work and my wire fittings were good, after trying the bottom row of connectors…so I guess there’s a problem with the top row that I initially connected them to.
However :poop:
There’s a horrible loudish buzz.

Can it be it comes from the amplifier?

The sound is perfect when my speakers are connected into my other hi-fi system.

Maybe it’s the amp that’s buggered?

The usual cause of a loud buzzing will be the record deck not being grounded. It should have an odd wire coming out of the rear that will need to be connected to a ‘GND’ connector on the back of the amp.

1 Like

Wow thanks Mik. I actually took it off the other day coz a guy at work saw it and said it shouldn’t be there :roll_eyes: I said well if it’s there it surely has a purpose… but he said take it off so I did.

Just put it back on.
The buzzing’s still there but not as loud.
What else do I need to do?
:thinking:

Wait. Is it correctly connected? There are 2 ends and they are both screwed to the connector at the back of the amp as u can see on the pic. They are in no way connected to the back of the record player.

The buzzing intensifies when I touch the arm of the record player.

One end should be connected to the back of the record player. On my record player, the wire is an integral part of the system, but without seeing the back of your record deck…

1 Like

So…that’s the cable that splits into 2 ends.

This is how they were connected when I collected the amp, (and how I’ve just connected them again,after your advice), both ends at back of amp with aerial sitting on top of amp. No connection to record player.
As you can see it splits into 2 ends only on a short length of 2 inches.
It would’ve have been impossible to connect it to the record player with such small length (of course I can split it into two longer ends but this is how I collected it)

And this is the back of the record player.
Apart from a Jack port, there doesn’t seem to be anything where I could connect the aerial :thinking:

Sorry, I hope this is clear enough for you to see :confused:

That looks like an aerial I used to have off my Tuner !?

1 Like

There was one on the tuner and there was this one too.
I’m looking at blogs, I’m not the only one apparently who was given this model of record deck that had no GND wire. He thinks there must ve been something on his but looks broken at the base.

However no matter how much I look at the back of my deck, there is absolutely no trace of nothing…

Yeah…That’s an aerial. Bear with me…

OK GOT IT.
Looked underneath the deck and there’s an aerial sign underneath what looks like the Jack port. So this is where it should go.

But how do I connect one of the 2 ends (that look more like a hook) into the whole that looks like a Jack???

Right…
That hole is for the earth wire. Apparently you can get specially-made ones. The aerial is just a spare aerial; you can either forget about it or make use of part of the wire to fashion your own earth wire - apparently, if you strip one end and loop / fold the wire round so it fits snugly in the hole, and attach the other end to your GND on the amp, it should work. It’s a bit ‘make& mend’, obviously, but it’s only earthing the record deck, so not got any voltage going through it, so safe enough, until you can get a wire with a plug to fit the hole properly.

1 Like

Okay. Yeah I just gathered maybe they didn’t have the right cable and just used this because it was a spare aerial somehow :thinking:

I bet if you can bend / squeeze one of the ends so it fits snugly in the hole, it’ll work.

So if I cut off the rectangular aerial, (get rid of it), strip the wire and fold it so it goes into the whole, and leave the other 2 ends as they are on the picture connected to the amp…
It should work :grinning:

You can either do that or just leave one end connected to the amp, cut off just the one wire from the aerial and make that end fit snugly in the hole (so it touches the sides all the way round - of course, if you use the 2 wires, you’ll have more wire, so it might be easier to make a snug fit).
Alternatively, leave the aerial intact and just make it so that one of the metal connectors fits snugly in the hole and attach the other end to the GND on the amp.

1 Like