The last gig you went to

Didn’t you have your iPod and earphones?

I have hardly any experience of accompanying someone to a gig of their choice.

Once went with the wife to see Belinda Carlisle but thought that was ok, if not really my cup of tea.

1 Like

Marillion at Usher’s Hall in Edinburgh last night, unexpected (didn’t know the band was there while I’d be in Edinburgh :laughing:)but managed to get a last minute ticket.
Sorry but a very boring support band almost got me to sleep thank god Marillion appeared and gave me my energy back, as they would, because they’re just BRILLIANT!!!

Sorry for the poor quality picture!

5 Likes

Looks like you got a good spot and not the seats above I told you about.

Absolutely, i was sat on the 9th row!

1 Like

Btw, Glasgow’s setlist!

5 Likes

Paul Carrack - Caird Hall, Dundee last night.

2 Likes

The amazing King King, now with added Stevie Nimmo

2 Likes

Genesis at La Defense Arena last night.

IMG_20220316_225140_BURST7|690x388

3 Likes

5 Likes

Beautiful newish arena with an awful sound :confounded: !!
The acoustic is an absolute disgrace. At least I expected it from what I’d read in the past week.

Light show was great, the drums were FANTASTIC, Nic Collins beat his heart out on them drums!!!
Band on great form apart from Phil as you’d expect it.
Good setlist shame some songs were not played in their entirety, i guess they wanted to fit as many bits of songs as possible to please everybody.
And it was plain to see it was a great effort/struggle for Phil to be there.
Nevertheless, loved being there in this moment in time, loved every second of it, didn’t see the 2.15 hours pass by.
Cried my heart out at the start of Afterglow and later on at the sound of Carpet Crawlers which was the closing song.

Very emotional show.

5 Likes

I wonder, given the band still sound so good, if they would do a few future tours without Phil and bring in some guest singers? I love Phil to bits but for me it’s not just that he can’t physically do it to the best of his abilities anymore, but that he has also expressed a desire not to.

1 Like

And so should it be if it’s his wish.
Who knows!
Listened to Sound of Contact on the plane back to Nice this PM, in which his eldest son Simon sings. He has the exact same voice as his father!!!

1 Like

Talking about new singers for legendary bands… Just saw this, think Ann Wilson would be perfectfor the job!!!

Sound of Contact - Dimensionaut. What an album.

1 Like

Nah. She pays a fine tribute though. The only singer for that band ever was Robert Plant and wisely on his part he knows that ship has sailed. That is why he continues to pursue the love of music and record albums with many diverse talents. Unlike Jimmy Page…

Think Genesis had enough trouble not giving a new singer ( Ray Wilson ) a decent chance back in the day. Also a singer like David Langdon from Big Big Train ( who sadly died recently ) couldnt get the gig either. I think the idea of guest singers would be like a Tony Banks solo album like when Fish and Nik Kershaw sang on Still.

I get what you’re saying but Hackett’s band always gets a lot of credit for being/sounding authentic. I see no reason why the remaining Genesis members couldn’t continue to perform old material. It wouldn’t be an individual stepping into Phil’s shoes if it was promoted clearly as being with guest singers.

2 Likes

I think Genesis should (and will) call it a day after this tour. If individual members wish to continue playing Genesis songs then they can do as Steve Hackett currently does.

Genesis with a new singer, at this late stage in their careers, to me would be wrong, and just unneccessary money making when they don’t need the cash.

3 Likes

I agree Steve. It does sound in interviews as if Banks and Rutherford have the touring bug again, but I would be happier with them touring under their own names, as it wouldn’t feel like Genesis to me.

I know Queen tour with Lambert but they started doing that 10 years ago and have some new material.

Now if Tony and Mike were to reform with Steve and bring Peter back, that would be a different story.

2 Likes