New releases coming up

The DSOTM box set is waaayyyy overpriced, especially as most of the items will just stay in the box.

I preordered the Wembley concert on vinyl from Amazon. That way I should get the digital download as well.

Incidentally, the book from the box set is also available separately.

Iā€™ve got the 30th anniversary release of DSOTM on SA-CD, so already have a 5.1 mix of the album.

Iā€™ll get the Wembley cd and maybe the book (though thatā€™s one of those things that iā€™d probably look through once and then never pick up again).

1 Like

Just received this email.

00-sed.jpg

Hello Everyone,

We are pleased to announce the final in our series of Deluxe Editions of the Marillion EMI Studio albums. Seasons End will be released on the 19th May as 3cd / Blu-ray and 5 LP 180g vinyl sets.

The album has been remixed by Michael Hunter and sounds noticeably richer than the original while maintaining its original character.

In addition, both formats also include the album performed live in its entirety on the Sunday night of the Marillion Weekend in Leicester on the 29th May 2022.

As well as 48/24 and 5.1 mixes of the album, the blu-ray includes a ā€œBootleg Mixā€ of the February 1990 concerts in Montreal, and a selection of demos and b-sides.

Video content includes ā€œSeasons Changeā€, an 83 minute documentary on the making of the album, the ā€œFrom Stoke Row To Ipanemaā€ documentary and the full ā€œRock Steadyā€ concert performance. Also included are the promotional videos for Hooks In You, Easter and The Uninvited Guest.

CLICK HERE FOR 3CD / BLU-RAY

CLICK HERE FOR VINYL

As usual, the first 4000 orders across both formats will also receive a hand signed A4 artwork print.

h, Ian, Mark, Pete & Steve

1 Like

I donā€™t like the coverā€¦.

21/07 Starcatcher - Greta Van Fleet

For UK buyers these are gonna cost Ā£81.25 for an unsigned copy inc. VAT and postage, Ā£105.25 for a signed copy.

Ā£77.08 (unsigned) or Ā£97.08 (signed) for me here in the US (with no VAT).

Thatā€™s the price for each release.

I donā€™t recall the Marillion deluxe vinyl releases being this expensive.

I already have Feast on vinyl and 13th Star is by far my least favorite solo album, so an easy decision for me.

1 Like

Same thingā€¦I wonā€™t buy those as I already have them on vinylā€¦and they are really expensive !
I begin to be a bit fed up with all those re releases

1 Like

And there is no chance to get the signed version from the EU shop.

1 Like

Was Feast released on vinyl at the time, or just cd? Not sure why something from 2013 needs a remaster.

1 Like

Yes it was.Just saw that a signed copy is 20Ā£ moreā€¦No comment

1 Like

At those kind of prices Iā€™d expect it signed for free. Love Fish and his music (or I wouldnā€™t be here) but even for a premium product thatā€™s very high.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Iā€™m agree with you Paul

I actually donā€™t blame him for charging a premium to add his signature. Heā€™s earned that. Look on eBay, people are selling signed copies of the Marillion deluxe albums for 5 times their original price because his signature is on the cover.

I am just a little shocked by the base cost of each set. Ā£77 = $96 for a 3 vinyl album. I paid less than half that as recently as last week for a triple vinyl David Bowie album.

I agree Mike. To me, charging for his signature is only an issue because of the high cost of the release to begin with.

3 Likes

Fish has written a long piece on FB explaining the costings and his income stream

1 Like

Just read it now. Unfortunately Iā€™m still not gonna buy this time. Iā€™ll wait for the Vigil remastered deluxe triple 180g colored vinyl signed limited edition box set to be released. :wink:

Lauri, if you message Sales at the UK shop they will tell you exactly how much for an autographed copy would cost from them.

There is a post / justifiable rant from Fish on Facebook regarding folks complaining re. the costs for the overall packages ( Feast and 13th Star ). The autograph cost is an effort to raise monies for knee operations. Essentially no operations = no final Fish Tour.

1 Like

Iā€™d pay Ā£20 for a nice postcard-sized piece of album artwork, signed by Fish. I could frame it. Is this an option? Sorry, I donā€™t read his FB posts.

Fishā€™s Facebook response

"Ok I am taking a few pelters on pricing of these new box sets and I understand some of the grievances and reject a lot of them.

These are limited edition box sets. They wonā€™t be repeated - ever.

However you are entitled to voice opinions and I can answer with my own

Since the ā€˜Weltschmerzā€™ release in 2020 manufacturing prices have gone up by around 25%. Brexit happened. Itā€™s taken 10 months waiting for a release date on these box sets in June 2023.

On both the new vinyl box sets there are 3 x 180 g remastered, and in the case of ā€˜13th Starā€™ remixed vinyls in full colour sleeves , a compehensive set of sleeve notes and photos and artwork in the accompanying 12x12" insert all in a hardback box. The first 3 sides with the ā€˜newā€™ album are mastered at half speed for great quality. There is no vinyl box set fairy that magically creates them. Itā€™s taken a lot of time and effort from quite a few people to put these together.

You want 5.1 and Dolby Atmos mixes? Deluxe packaging , bonus material, multiple discs, 12000 words of sleevenotes etc etc?

Yes they cost a lot of money to buy and they cost a lot of money to create especially in relatively small production runs. Iā€™m not ā€˜Adeleā€™ or even in ā€˜Steven Wilsonā€™ territory. For a start the government takes 20% in VAT and I pay 25% in corporation tax on profit in the UK. The latter is not your problem. The actual profit margins are not what you might expect.

ā€˜Vigils Endā€™ at the last count in March I had 115 thousand listeners on Spotify. I have not even recouped costs on that album yet selling less than 5000 albums so far. My last 6 month royalty statement from EMI had around Ā£400 from digital streams on ā€˜Vigilā€™ to put that in perspective.

Yes itā€™s tough for everyone out there with available finances and that includes myself. I am a professional musician with no day job and no live shows till Autumn 2024 and only 7 since March 2020.

I am looking at signed albums on sale on E Bay and other places for over Ā£200. Most of these I sold for around Ā£60 making around Ā£10 nett. Does that stick in my craw ? Yes it does.

Why am I generically signing material a minority of others are making enormous profits from?

In the next 6 months I will be undergoing 2 knee replacement operations at a cost of around Ā£40k which I need if I am going to appear on a stage again on my farewell tour in September/ October 2024. The NHS is overloaded and there is no space on waiting lists therefore I have to elect to go for private surgery. This isnā€™t a sob story itā€™s a reality and I deal with that.

The option for buying autographs on the new box sets and the deluxe versions of ā€˜Weltschmerzā€™ and ā€˜Feast Of Consequencesā€™ helps pay for that . If you want to take that offer up then itā€™s sincerely appreciated and also if you only want the album then your purchase is again helping and as much appreciated.

You are not under pressure to buy an autographed album. Itā€™s an option.

The autographs are not on signed pieces of printed paper they are on the album. They are personalised not just signed ā€˜fishā€™.

I have broadcast over 900 or so FREE Fish on Friday broadcasts since lockdown started in 2020 just after my touring collapsed and have consistently refused to monetise it. I take great exception at accusations of ā€˜ripping fans offā€™ with the paid for autograph option on the new releases and in all honesty am becoming very disillusioned by some of the most recent reactions on the Facebook pages to the new titles.

I know I should walk away and not comment but thatā€™s not who I am and I am honestly questioning where my future lies with regard to future releases and continuing with my record company and touring.

Itā€™s all very well listening to and appreciating the artist but I canā€™t survive on streaming income alone and itā€™s the physical sales that support my career.

To those of you who have taken umbrage I said you can choose whether to buy or not and at the same time I can choose whether I want to continue being ā€˜Fishā€™ or not. Donā€™t hit me with hammers. I reacted in 88 and have no qualms at doing it again.

To those of you who are supporting us an incredibly sincere warm thanks for your support and you wonā€™t be forgotten. We know who you are.

This isnā€™t a ā€˜moanā€™ itā€™s a reality check. Take it as you want.

take care

Fish"

1 Like

I placed an order on 13th Star signed version, it was Ā£96.89 with tracked delivery. Of course I will pay VAT when it arrives eventually but Iā€™m now very happy waiting for it! :blush:

1 Like