Pink Floyd to release new album "The Endless River" in October 2014

News about Pink Floyd. What are you think about?

Pink Floyd to release new album The Endless River in October 2014

Pink Floyd set to release first new record in 21 years

never been a huge fan of PFā€¦of course I have two or three albums of this legendary band but Iā€™ve realized that I donā€™t know their carreer that muchā€¦thatā€™s why Iā€™m not knock down by this release BUT it certainly makes me curious of what itā€™s gonna be exactly :wink:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I canā€™t even process this information right nowā€¦

What would it be beyond a Dave Gilmour solo album? Iā€™m not quite sure what a Pink Floyd album would be right now.

No doubt Iā€™ll be checking this out but it would have to be something extremely special to stand up against not only their own back catalogue but some great bands - not necessarily huge - but releasing some fantastic music and pushing boundaires that Iā€™m just not sure ā€œPink Floydā€ will be able to match.

Something to think about. :thought_balloon:

2 Likes

I thought The Division Bell was a good, although admittedly and obviously it failed to match some of the classic PF albums. - Will be interesting to watch this space, though as you say, in what context will it actually be a ā€˜Pink Floydā€™ album and not just a Gilmour one?

Division Bell leftovers by the sound of it.

1 Like

I have heard the majority of it are mid 90ā€™s recordings, as previously said, the material that didnā€™t make the last album, with some more recent overdubs .
Exciting as a new release sounds, I just hope its not a disappointing release like many recent albums that have been released for the sake of it !! (Hendrix ect).

So - donā€™t get yer hopes up then? :wink:

Pink Floyd update: Rock legends confirm fall release of new album ā€¦

Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album ā€œThe Endless Riverā€ in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer.

My immediate reaction on hearing it would be Division Bell leftovers was i have no interest and wonā€™t be buying it. However, ā€˜ambient and instrumentalā€™ gives me a little more optimism. Hopefully a nice chilled out album.

The more I read of this, the more I think that they should have just remastered and re-released Division Bell, with the instrumentals as bonus material. - Even with later overdubs, you could hardly call it new material.

Agreed. But the cynic in me says they could not have released the Division Bell reissue and then coined in this new ā€œreleaseā€ afterwards if they did that.

Thatā€™s how I feel too. Although to me, Floyd without Waters is like Marillion without Fish; steak without mustard; chips without salt; sex without loveā€¦

Pleasant in itself, but lacking the full satisfaction of the real thingā€¦

3 Likes

Agree with most of your analogies, although mustard completely ruins steak in my opinion.

Say what you like about Division Bell, but some of the instrumental segments and guitar playing were beautiful, so there is reason to be hopeful.

Oh absolutely! But they just have no ā€œedgeā€ since Roger left. The music is pleasant but ultimately unfulfilling IMO.

Iā€™d still listen to it, but I doubt Iā€™d buy it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzsyi1_pink-floyd-outtake-from-the-division-bell-sessions-1993_music

3 Likes

Nothing spectacular is it ??? Hopefully the reported ā€˜ambienceā€™ will play a bigger part when the album is released.

I love the guitar sound that Gilmour produces . It sounds a very similar riff to Blue Light from his About Face solo album .

1 Like

Sounds fine, but the outtake feels a lot more like The Wall than The Division Bell.

1 Like

itā€™s official:

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/theendlessriver/about

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well I thought this was a given but apparently itā€™s news: