The Football Thread

New EFL season started this weekend and a very welcome (if unexpected) win for my team (Cardiff) against the team who i think will win the league this year (Norwich).

Hopefully this continues after our dire campaign last season.

1 Like

Anthony - your boys took one hell of a beating :star_struck:

1 Like

That will be a Bombay Thursday for the Geordies today.

I know I know …

2 Likes

Robbed. That was never a penalty.

The VAR official has now been stood down.

Mike,
Making hard work for the play-offs. Only needed 1 win and you were there but now squeaky bum time after your last 2 results.

I watched both games live on tv. We just didn’t take our chances. :face_with_peeking_eye:

The season has turned out to be another ‘what might have been’ as usual. We started in blistering form and were running neck and neck with Pompey after the first 15 games. We lost our manager to Bristol City and then had a disastrous run of injuries and the results collapsed. We only started to get our early season form back this past month and actually beat Peterborough last Saturday 5-0 following back to back 4-0 wins in the previous two games but this week we’ve had a couple poor performances and find ourselves out of the playoffs with 1 game to go. We’re now going into a final game versus Exeter needing a win and Lincoln to drop points against Portsmouth who are already on the beach having won the league. We can also hope Barnsley drop points vs Northampton in their last game.:crossed_fingers: But very unlikely.

On paper we had a team that should have been challenging for the autos. But that’s football! :pensive:

Maybe next season :grin:

1 Like

The neverending optimism of a football supporter. :rofl:

1 Like

Off to meet the lads in Spoons for breakfast @ 8 before train down and no doubt more of the seasons misery at Wembley. . . . :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Dundee United promoted back to the Scottish Premier League at the first time of asking yesterday. :smiley:

3 Likes

You jammy bar stewards :scream:

Abysmal performance yet again , but had a top day :beers:

1 Like

On my way to Cardiff for an all dayer and my last match of the season.

Neither teams have anything to play for so hopefully an open all out attacking match. Though more likely to be as dull as a pre-season friendly, with the players already planning their summer beach holidays.

Omg!

Lincoln lost, Blackpool lost and Barnsley drew. We won! :grin:

I actually can’t believe how it ended. The results all went in our favour. Finishing 5th and avoiding Bolton in the playoff semifinals is a bonus too. Peterborough will be very tough. They demolished us at their place but we had the better of them at home. I’m just so happy right now. This time last year we had to win our last game to avoid relegation so to make the playoffs is a great achievement. I love footy :laughing: COYY

1 Like

Nice one. Best of luck in the playoffs.

I only saw first half of Cardiff game and left. Was having such a great day in the pub catching up with friends I’ve not seen in a while, and then the football always spoils the day.

Nevermind, on the piss again now.

3 Likes

1 Like

It’s all those ex-Cardiff players you’ve got :grin:

Best of luck in the final. Hope you win as a trip to Oxford is far easier for me than one to Bolton.

1 Like