The Last Vinyl Album that you Bought

Was just in the process of buying a Tee and a Vinyl + cd, got a 15% discount code via email, but when I went to ckeck out, they were gonna charge me 38 euros for postage! And also the discount code never worked. Well Fuck them!!!
I’ll buy them on another platform nearer the release date.
Shame for the T though :pensive:

Seriously though, what’s happened with postage fees?!?
Pink Floyd’s and Fish’s postage fees are beyond outrageous.

I’m guessing the EU shop ships from the UK and that’s why the postage cost is stupidly high. Makes no sense why it would cost that much!

I purchased from the US store and was offered 2 day shipping for $25 or 3-7 days for $5. I took the cheap option!

I received the email with the 15% discount code about 2 minutes after completing my order! At first I was a tad pissed but then read the small print - ” The following items are not eligible for the discount: Pre-order Items, Bundles or Combos, Drop-ship Items, Media, or Gift certificates.” - so I’m not really sure what I can use it on tbh, a T- shirt maybe?

Keep checking Amazon. I checked Amazon US before I ordered and it wasn’t there but it showed up later in the evening. Fortunately it was the same price otherwise I would have been really pissed off :laughing:

1 Like

Doing exactly that. I’m listening to the 3 albums Anthony suggested. It just so happens that they were released one after the other so I plan to listen in chronological order. I started with ‘In Absentia’ last night :+1:

1 Like

You read too quickly like me in the first place, it’s for merch on demand. Now, is pre-order considered as on demand? That would be far fetched.

SAVE 15% on Your First Order (Offer does not apply to bundles, media (CD, Vinyl, DVD etc.) or merchandise printed on demand)

yes I looked on Amazon too but it’s not available to pre-order as yet.

1 Like

A nice little 4th of July gift to myself :us: :metal::guitar:

I’m not a regular Walmart shopper but they do have some great exclusive deals on vinyl :+1:

3 Likes

Wish our supermarkets still sold music , who remembers Fine Fare :slightly_smiling_face: used to get alot of my vinyl from there pre teen yrs.

1 Like

It was Woolworths for me.

1 Like

Yep. Woolies, WH Smiths and sometimes Boots the chemist. I lived in Our Price records before HMV and Virgin Megastore opened in Oxford. Last time I was back (2019) there were no record stores and hardly any CDs sold in supermarkets like Tesco. Sad really!

Walmart is in big competition with Amazon so have stepped up their game over the last couple years.

Fine Fare? That must have been your 78`s ? :rofl:

1 Like

A regular Saturday 40 years ago would start with the bus into town. Off in the Seagate to Chalmers & Joy. Through the lane into Murraygate and into Wellgate - Bruces , VIrgin. Back along Murraygate - John Menzies, Woolworths, Cathie McCabes. Into the old Arcade out the other side Littlewoods and Boots. Into the Overgate Shopping Centre - cant remember the name of the shop ( Bought Born Again by Sabbath there in 1983 ). Across to JJ`s Records at the top of Union Street. Back across to the back of the Overgate to Grouchos 2nd hand records. Up to the Westport to Rockpile Records.

I have missed out a few to from a wee bit earlier. Wind forward and now we have HMV, Assai Records, 13 Records and Oxfam. How times have changed and not for the better. Check out the book, “Last Record Shop Standing.”

2 Likes

Kaleidoscope Records. A little independent place that ordered everything in for me, before the days of Amazon. Got all my Kinks stuff there, before all the albums got remastered and became readily available.
Browsing in music stores was one of the only things I enjoyed going into town for back in the day.

Warrington still has a couple of the larger music store chains, but even HMV has so little choice these days, compared to what they used to stock. To be honest though, I buy so little music these days. My collection is way too heavy with stuff I barely listen to. There’s really only a handful of bands and artists that I will preorder new albums of. Never really lookout for new stuff anymore, unless I chance across something on YouTube like This Winter Machine.

3 Likes

Other than WH Smiths and Woolworths, in Pontypridd we had Rainbow Records (my first purchase there was Rainbow - Down To Earth) and Hurleys (which was a toy shop at the front and record shop at the rear).

Also had the Green Book Shop which sold second hand records.

Spent most school lunchtimes browsing the racks but rarely buying, as only on pocket money and my paper round wage. I think the owners must have hated us.

Some weekends, as i was a little bit older with money to spend, would be a train journey to Cardiff to visit Spillers (the oldest record shop in the world), HMV and Our Price (though i usually found ‘their price’ to be more expensive).

My first cassette (Megadeth - Peace Sells…) and first cd (Dan Reed Network - Slam) were bought in Spillers, and my first Marillion record (Market Square Heroes 12" with Grendel on the B side) was bought in Our Price.

Happy days.

2 Likes

Browsing record stores is still one of my favourite pastimes. Luckily there are 4-5 great independent stores fairly close to me (within a 25 miles radius) and I try to visit at least one once a week. Not always to buy, sometimes just to look and see what’s new. I enjoy finding new stuff and when I don’t, there’s always something that I want for the collection.

Just last night for example, I popped out to grab dinner and there was a store close by so I stopped to get the Porcupine Tree vinyl. Sold out. But I found this :arrow_down: Result :laughing: - but not always easy to explain :wink:

2 Likes

I can remember where I got my first Marillion record. I actually bought it second hand from a small shop in the High Street above the Covered Market in Oxford. A German pressing of Script. Still have it.

Sorry, went all teary eyed for a moment :rofl:

3 Likes

Woolies for my first Marillion music! Misplaced Childhood on cassette tape. :laughing:

2 Likes

For today only, HMV is the best. Walked in to buy the new Paolo Nutini album. Saw this in a Sale rack. Reduced from £35.99 down to £14.99. Maybe we should start a new thread “Find of / Bargain of the Week.”

3 Likes

I was at that show.

1 Like

Listening to it now. Ocean Cloud is immense.

1 Like

Finding the PT vinyl quite elusive! Went to another local store last night (they showed on their website that they had it in stock) and when I got there (after driving 20+ miles) it turns out the one copy they had was actually reserved for another customer. I could order online but the version sold in stores is white colored vinyl and I’ve got it in my head that that’s the edition I want :laughing: I’m determined to find it :grin: So that is my quest for today!

1 Like