Weltschmerz update

From Fish’s fb
As I said the album title of ‘Weltschmerz’ is totally apt in these difficult times and resonating in so many ways.

My producer Calum Malcolm decided to go for a short break to his apartment in Italy last weekend and has inadvertently been caught up in the countries shutdown.He is flying out tonight but facing a voluntary 2 week isolation at his house in Fife on his return to Scotland.

He was working on the album while he was there as he has a small studio set up at his Italian residence and when he gets back he will be finishing off the album at his own home studio.

I’m just thankful that all recording was finished before he left and that he is in the end game of mixing ‘Weltschmerz’.

I can only hope that Calum and his wife Yvonne are ok and that the enforced quarantine is unnescessary.

As we go out on tour on Friday I’m reminded of the onus on us all in the circus to keep safe and healthy. I’ve already had long conversations with my band and crew as to how to look after ourselves as unless there are changes in government guidelines we have to go ahead with the tour as we can’t cancel ourselves.

I have discussed this at length with my promoters at Gig Cartel and we are both in a situation where if we voluntarily cancel we face financial repercussions neither of us can afford. If the UK government pull the plug then we just have to handle the hit and deal with it the best way we can. We have no insurance cover for Covid19.

I’m also aware that many fans have already made travel and hotel arrangements and bought tickets for these shows.
I’ve already had emails from Italian fans in lockdown who are unable to make the gigs and I sincerely feel for them as there is nothing either of us can do.

I am caught between a rock and a very hard place. As a boss of a circus I am to some extent responsible for my people all of whom , like me, have families and most have aging parents in that dangerous demographic that none of us like to talk about but are all well aware of.

I’m not exactly in a safe zone myself having had my immune system rocked by sepsis twice last year. I’ve been really healthy since and next week I’ll have been alcohol free for 2 months. That decision was made just after Boxing day when I realised I had to start looking after myself if I was to get through the demanding schedule I was facing in 2020. At that time I never considered the prospect of a viral pandemic but in the unfolding scenario this year it was a wise decision.I’ve been boosting my immune system for months with high doses of vitamins and supplements recommended for people coming off chemotherapy and I admit to feeling the best I have felt for a very long time.

I am very aware of the downside as should we all be on both sides of the ‘fourth wall’. I can only ask that you follow all health guidelines and government advice and take all nescessary precautions when attending the shows.

I regret that I will not be signing or be available for ‘selfies’ at the shows and the band and crew will be keeping ourselves within our tour bubble backstage and avoiding contact with the general public to limit exposure. If any member of our entourage becomes infected the tour is effectively over as our travel arrangements mean that we are always in close proximity to each other and therefore if one goes down we are all exposed and facing quarantine.

It’s nowhere near an ideal situation for anyone concerned, both for fans and the circus but we have no other option but to continue with our first show on Friday in Aberdeen and carry on until Edinburgh or until someone tells us to stop.

Should the tour be cancelled due to UK government guidelines the shows will be rescheduled a lot later in the year

Let’s all keep our fingers crossed that everyone in attendance at the venues and on the stage gets through this unscathed and that the tour passes without incident.

Please take care of yourselves and stay healthy

all the best

Fish.

3 Likes

Btw…when pre-orders are going to be opened ?

From fishmusic.scot website …

All formats and new ‘Weltschmerz’ merchandise will only be available on our soon to be revamped mail-order service from fishmusic.scot and preorders will start at the beginning of June 2020.

1 Like

so we have time then…thanks

1 Like

First English gig cancelled by venue no word on Fish’s website yet.

With the impending UK government decision to cancel all ‘mass gatherings’ and after discussion today with my promoter we have decided to postpone all UK touring with immediate effect.

This means that tomorrow night’s show at Holmirth will not be going ahead and all the UK shows in March are postponed and will be moved to future dates which as yet have to be determined. I’m sure you’ll appreciate that with the current chaos around the entire live music industry rescheduling is not an easy task and it will be at least December until we have new dates in place.

I’m sorry for those of you who have already made travel arrangements but I think most people will be glad that this decision has been made. The fast developing situation has dictated this change of plans and to be honest I am relieved to come off the road as although we had a fantastic night in Aberdeen last night the surrounding stress on all of us was immense. Apart from the 2 glorious hours on stage it was a highly uncomfortable experience for all concerned.

All tickets bought for the March UK shows will be valid for the rescheduled dates and I will get more information to you as soon as I can.

I asked Sandy about the blue Tshirt, since it is not for sale on the website. He said he didn’t understand cause they have definitely printed some. According to him work on the shop page is in progress and it should be up on there soon.

1 Like