Hobbies, Interests and Pastimes

SOLEIL ROYAL 1669 update…

Hull construction work has now finished.
Stern is finished along with all architectural features including the lanterns and some added ones. Boats and cradle are finished as well as the channels and rigging eyepins for the start of the rigging.
I am pretty pleased they way she has turned out, considering I didn’t really have a vision of how it would go.

Next up will be working the wood to make the masts and yards so it will stand up to the rigging tension.





4 Likes

Any update on this Rab? Would love to see it finished.

Hi Paul,

I’ve managed to get bk working on this kit these last 4 weeks after 6 months lay off due to Personal family issues and Health reasons.

Just small steps mostly atm, as i try and deal and come to terms with other issues.

This is where i am at just now…
Just started the ratlines on the Lower shrouds. The foremost lower ratlines are finished with a grand total of 288 clove hitches tied, just starting on the Mainmast lower ratlines. Still a very long way to go mate as i am not 100%.

Hope everyone is ok :+1:t3:





5 Likes

Looking great and definitely coming together. Transforms once the masts and rigging start to be added.

Take care mate. :+1:

2 Likes

All the Lower ratlines are now complete from the Spritsail, Foremast, Main and Mizzen mast, with 942 clove hitches being tied in the process.
Now moving on to rig the deadeyes/shrouds for Top masts of the Fore, Main & Mizzen.


3 Likes

Anyone got a spare £15k lol…

At the moment, my favourite hobby is sleeping.

2 Likes

Another one of my hobbies albeit i haven’t added much to my collection of late.

CEYLON 1863-65
Sg59 2/- Steel Blue
Wmk 5, Perf 12.5
Paper medium thin and slightly soft
MLH.

1 Like

I need to get back into coin collecting. Similar to stamp collecting I think. All about the history and research. That’s what I find interesting.

I have a nice little collection started, but it’s difficult to come across the old British coins I’m after. I have so many Roman ones, I don’t know what to do with them!

1 Like

Hi Paul

Obviously depending on what you are after and the grade/condition i always though ebay was a good source as i get most of my stamos from there, as long as youve done research and you know what your looking for.
I always keep checking every so often and settling up alerts for anything specifically that may just get newly listed.

It can be. I must admit, where coins are concerned I like to see and handle them first. I know a couple of retailer contacts that let me know what stuff they have coming through, but really early British coins, like pre 16th C show up rarely.

1 Like

Yeah that stuff would interest me also from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries as it coincides with a lot of the ships i build too.

1 Like

Oh aye. Pieces of eight and doubloons! :laughing:

1 Like

I was watching Digging For Britain the other night where the archaeologists discovered a horde of 300 11th Century silver coins buried in a big chunk of lead. Amazing the restoration work that went into separating them all and cleaning them up.

Had my collection out this morning, as I was wondering what the earliest British coin I had. For some reason I was thinking 17th century, but turns out I’ve a few 15th Century, and this one. A hammered silver penny, struck in the year 1239 during the reign of Henry III.

4 Likes

Wow thats brilliant mate :+1:

1 Like

It’s been a while since I posted an update on my SR, mostly because of myself and certain situations I am trying to cope with atm.
It’s been slow moving here, however I have completed all the ratlines for the masts, I am now rigging the futtock Shrouds before adding the ratlines to these also, after this I will be rigging the back stays for each mast before I can start making my sails, still a way to go, time consuming regards to my new job and other issues, so hopefully I can make more time in the near future.

4 Likes

You got the job! :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Yes mate started on Monday :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I picked these up whilst in Cheltenham at the weekend, 20 notes for the pair , bargain .

2 Likes

Does this mean you have a new found hobby ?

1 Like