Na my hobby will always be drinking !
Just wasn’t sure what thread to stick them on ![]()
Hobby? You`re a professional, surely? ![]()
No chance , there are 2 professionals on here, ones from Finland and the other is from Wales ![]()
So one is Lauri. Can’t think who else you mean ![]()
ONE FOR THE DIARY
MODEL & HOBBY SHOW SCOTLAND 2025 13th&14thSept
I’ve been asked to display some of my ships at this show. I am obviously looking forward to it, but also apprehensive as I’ve never done anything like this before, as I just build these ships for myself and only inadvertently got bk into during the pandemic.
Please feel free to share the image or post, it would be a great opportunity to bring the kids or Grankids to and maybe encourage them into doing something practical (rather than on their phones or ipads etc
) Or just a family day out to something different and relive some nostalgic childhood memories.
Adults £5 entry
Kids under 16 go free.
Thanks ![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
A little update on my SOLEIL ROYAL…
14 Sails measured, drawn up and cut out next step is the long process of Hand sewing all the detailed lines etc… I’ve also made the flagstaff out of wood with only a little aid of the plastic support, as well as 2 brass halves of Fleur de lys bonded together, next will be a little paint and weather for the support and staining of the wood.
It’s been a long time since my last ship building post on here due other good but necessary conflicting circumstances.
All the Soleil Royal sails have been hand sewn, now in the process of rigging them up, a bit of tight time schedule due to the the fact that the model show exhibition I’ve been asked to display at is in just under 3 weeks time, still confident enough this ship and other stuff will be ready for her maiden voyage.
How many are you showing at the exhibition Rab?
2 Full build ships and one part build Paul as well as presenting my display stand with some plans, maps and reference books.
Just 3 days to go till..
MODEL SHOW EXHIBITION & RETAIL MACKINNON MILLS COATBRIDGE
SATURDAY 13TH & SUNDAY 14TH SEPT
I’ve been asked to display at, apart from getting my display stuff like reference books maps and plans together everything else is done and in place heading there on Friday to set up my stall, I guess I am.looking forward to it but not to bothered as well, as I said before I just build these ships for myself.
Most important thing is encouraging kids bk in to a creative productive hobby rather ipads and PlayStation games.
I always used to say that I only draw and sketch for myself, and that’s still true, but when I did my first few joint exhibitions I got a real buzz from the interest and people saying how much they liked some of my stuff. You’ll definitely enjoy it Rab.
All set up ready for tomorrow’s Model Show
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
MODEL SHOW EXHIBITION & RETAIL MACKINNON MILLS COATBRIDGE
SATURDAY 13TH & SUNDAY 14TH SEPT
10am-5pm both days
Just a wee reminder folks of the model show/retail/Exhibition, if you fancy a bit of nostalgia and bring the kids/Gran kids along with you something a bit different for everyone, we are trying to encourage kids to be more creative secure the future of this hobby rather than them online gaming etc..
Adults only £5 entry
Under 16s are free
After 2 1/2 years some a lot of which I had to deal with heartbreaking circumstances my Soleil Royal is finally finished. Originally the Heller kit but I heavily improvised her giving her wooden decks, masts, yards, Deadeyes, rigging blocks etc.. while adding a lot more deck detail rigging up all 104 Cannons, 1,864 clove hitches, approx 500 reef points, 520 Cannon balls as well as Barrels and rope hanks not to mention miles of Amati rigging thread in various sizes.
Without the personal circumstances I’ve had to endure she has been a labour of Love.
I’m not a craftsman by any manner of means and don’t have any ambitions to be one either. I just build these ships for the Beauty and historical aspect that each one has.
Some of the photos you will see were taken at a recent Model Show in Scotland i was asked to display at.
I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed building her.
All the best
Robert
(ART’s Model Dockyard)
Absolutely fantastic - I would never have the patience to stick at it.
I love the mount as well. Really sets it off.
The 4 Equestrian figures are of KING LOUIS XIV of which the SOLEIL ROYAL was his Flagship so these are of course related to the model.
Your attention to detail is amazing. I cannot comprehend the time, effort and patience that you’ve put into constructing these fantastic models.
Superb ![]()
![]()
![]()
Thanks Steve for your kind words mate ![]()
Haven’t added to the collection for ages, but had a look at their coins yesterday, as I’ve been on the lookout for ones from cultures I haven’t obtained up to now. Came out with this one. It doesn’t look much, I know, but we’re talking 2nd Century B.C.
The Seleukid/Seleucid Empire was formed following Alexander the Great’s death and spanned from Anatolia to the Indus Valley, mixing Greek, Persian and Near Eastern traditions. It fell during the Roman Conquest.
The king on the coin (Antiochus VII Euergetes Sidetes) was married to Cleopatra.














